Search Site

Q. What Should I Do After a Crash?
A. If you were involved in a crash that resulted in injuries contact local law enforcement, then seek medical attention immediately.

If you are able, take notes and photographs of the vehicles plus keep an accurate account of the all the details related to the incident. Useful details include:

  • The names, license plate numbers, vehicle identification numbers and auto insurance information of all the drivers involved
  • Any witnesses names and phone numbers
  • The precise time and date of the event
  • Details about the condition of the road and weather
  • Any injuries that occurred
  • The condition of your car

Q. What if I have a doubt of who is responsible?
A.  Never admit fault! Accidents can be jarring, and you or those involved may not recall every detail until hours or even days later. Be careful what you say to anybody; that also includes responding police officers, EMTs, doctors, nurses, or other medical personnel.

 Q. What are the Maryland Auto Insurance Rules?

A. Unlike many no-fault jurisdictions, Maryland is a “fault-based” jurisdiction.

This means that the injured party can file a claim with their own insurance company, the company of another driver, or go to court and seek damages by proving the other party was at fault.

Q. Does the driver at fault have to have insurance? What do I do if they don’t have coverage?

A. There is no requirement that any driver carry Uninsured Motorist coverage, however, uninsured motorist coverage limits are generally assumed to be the same as the liability limits on a policy.

First things first, If you’ve been involved in a car accident with an uninsured (or underinsured) driver, your best course of action is to report the accident to your car insurance company and find out how your coverage applies. If you’ve suffered serious injuries that won’t be covered by adequate insurance, it may be time to talk to an experienced car accident attorney about your options.

Q. How much is my case worth?
A. Compensation for your injuries depends on several factors, including the extent of your injuries, physical and mental pain and suffering, the amount and length of medical treatment, economic hardship or financial loss, decreased earning potential, and physical impairment and/or disfigurement.

Q. Should I accept an insurance company’s settlement offer?
Before accepting a settlement, it is always in your best interest to consult an attorney. Adjusters work for the insurance company, not for you. Their job is to settle the matter for the lowest possible cost to the company. An attorney will work for you and ensure that a settlement results in full compensation for your injuries. You don’t want to sign away your rights only to later discover that your injuries and losses were worse than you originally thought.

Q. I’ve already hired a law firm to handle my case. Can I change lawyers?
A. Yes, you have the right to change lawyers. In most cases, both attorneys will work out a fee agreement outlining how each will be paid at the conclusion of your case.

Q. What if the At-Fault Driver Fled the Scene After the Crash?

A. In Maryland, hit-and-run accidents are treated as uninsured driver claims but Maryland does require that all policies in the state provide uninsured motorist coverage.

This means that if a driver flees the scene of the accident, you will file a claim with your own insurance company for uninsured motorist benefits. You would also file a claim for uninsured motorist benefits if your uninsured coverage exceeds the amount of liability coverage that the “at fault” driver has (sometimes called an underinsured motorist claim).

Contact us

Please fill out the form below and one of our attorneys will contact you.

Quick Contact Form

Our Office
  • Waldorf Office
    2670 Crain Highway
    Suite 411
    Waldorf, Maryland 20601
    Phone: 301-705-5253